Friday, August 29, 2008

Labor Day Alert

The police have already begun using funds for roadblocks, check point stops, for the Labor Day Weekend and it is only August 29, 2008. Remember, the best rule is don't drink and drive; have a designated driver. Have your license, registration and proof of current insurance already out and ready for the officer if you run into one of these check points.
The Officer may ask you where you are coming from. If you have had nothing to drink, answer all questions and do all the field sobriety tests, but if you have been drinking, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER LIE to the officer; just don't answer any questions or do FSTs. Will you go to jail? Probably, but then you are probably going anyway, so don't answer any questions, just say I have nothing to say, but I will take a chemical test, and I choose a blood test.
And, don't fall for the roadside breath test; just say no, I will only take a blood test. Say nothing, don't lie about drinking, take the blood test, and call a DUI lawyer immediately upon release from jail. Don't forget, you only have 10 days from the date of your arrest to request a DMV hearing or you will lose your driving privilege.
You don't have to follow this advice, but this is what I would do if I were you, and I am a DUI lawyer in California. Have a safe and happy Labor Day.

No comments: